Sunday, October 21, 2007

Chips and Ginger

Has anyone ever been to the fish restaurant down at the harbour? I mean, anyone? How is it that I have never met anyone, anywhere, who has been there? Mind you, it's a looong walk for a bag of chips (and for many people, passing at least one other chip shop on the way). The chip shop part of it (Wee Hurrie?) had a savage review in the papers recently. But, as I said, I don't believe anybody's actually ever been there, so it must have been made up. I see a queue there sometimes when I go down to outstare the seals, but I'm convinced these people are paid to stand like that by the owners.

The restaurant's supposed to be excellent. But again, this comes from old reviews in old newspapers. There is no documented evidence of anyone every having "had their tea" there or anywhere near. It's probably a sham. I strongly suspect it's actually a disguised US base and they hold Dangerous Johnny Foreigners there before taking them via fishing boat to Ailsa Craig. Ninety percent of the building's under ground, you know. And the seals in the harbour have microphones hidden in their flippers.

Chips. Aren't they great? Isn't it marvellous that rich people eat fried potatoes too? Splendid.

7 comments:

Dogwithnobrain said...

AHa!
I have actually be to Wee Hurry, but won't be "hurrying" back" - See What I did there!

Sole Goujons and Chips was what I had after a 40 minute wait. Mine, together with the rest of the family (2 x Cod and Chips and another Goujons) stung us for 28 squid!!!! ha ha (see what I did there!

You are far better at the Portland Cafe!

I too, like the Seals!

timesnewroman said...

I've been. Two live Crabs for a fiver and two portions of rather nice Cullen skink for just over a fiver. Great value great food.

Anonymous said...

maybe the people that you bump into haven't been, fair enough. i've been quite a few times, weekends mostly and the plaice (get it) is bustling, chippy and restaurant. great food and well worth the wait. resataurant next door is magic from lobster to monkfish to crab to mullet its superb

rig

Anonymous said...

if your looking for the freshest fish,just landed and filleted there in front of you,battered and fried in quick time,served with chunky chips.....then wee hurry is the place for you!food and service in my opinion is very good, this opinion i arrived at after going there thrice,and it won't be the last time either,also tried lobster pankake rolls and calmari-superb!

Unknown said...

I have been there too, food was great and wasn't as expensive as I thought it would be. Will def be back.

CMiller said...

My husband and I like nothing better than going to the Wee Hurry sitting down on the rocks and eating what is a fantastic meal at a good price. Give me good quality fresh ingredients any day. If you like greasy limp tastless fish and chips this is NOT the place to go. I would recomend every one should give it a try.

Anonymous said...

i absolutely lov the wee hurry. yum yum yum. the haddoch, chips and garlic sauce are so beautiful. i bought a meal for 5. 4 large poirtions, and 1 medium sized for the child. and all together it cost from (£40-£50)no worse that is only for 4 meals and for the last medium sized eal was £6-£8.
the food there is absolutely BEAUTIFUL! but the price was DREADFUL! but altogether i love WEE HURRY. oh and another thing i came about 5pm and the seat restraunt next door was closed. but the wee hurry only had a couple of stools not enough to sit my whole family so these couple of ladies felt sorry for us and let us sit there. I LOVE THE SEALS!